- Facing the stress of life.
- To be physically healthy.
- Maintain good relationships.
- Work productively.
- Achieving full potential.
How to take care of mental health?Just as the body requires care to be healthy, it is also essential to pay attention to your mind, your emotions and be alert to any signs. Invite you to implement the following recommendations to maintain your mental health: Find the balance between positive and negative emotions. Having a positive attitude does not mean not feeling negative emotions, but feeling them, working on them and overcoming them. Practice gratitude. It is important to spend time every day thanking for the good things in life, recognizing positive emotions allow us to have a different perspective. Take care of your physical health. There are three simple ways to take care of your body’s health, start practicing them to achieve a greater well-being: do some physical activity, devote enough time to rest, and adopt healthy eating habits. Connect with others. Having healthy relationships with others is important for human beings. Establish relationships with family and friends and get involved with your community. Focus on a life purpose. You can focus on your professional life, volunteering, learning new skills or spirituality. Strengthen your coping skills. These methods will allow you to face life’s challenging situations in a better way. Practice meditation. Connect your body and mind with this practice, you can find the type of meditation that best aligns with your interest. Use relaxation techniques. There are several techniques you can use to relax your body. Some of them are: progressive relaxation, biofeedback, self-hypnosis and deep breathing exercises. Devote time to your hobbies. Doing activities that you enjoy helps you feel better and distracts you from your daily worries. Stimulate your brain. Chess, crossword puzzles, mandalas, among others, distract you and are a very good option to stimulate your brain. While all the techniques above mentioned are valuable tools for taking care of your mental health, do not forget that if you feel you need the attention of a professional psychologist, seeking help is always the best option.
Ask for helpIf you identify any alteration of your behaviors that can causes you concern or worry, do not hesitate to seek help:
- Find helpful information on the National Institute of Mental Health (NIH).
- Access resources on treatment, medical coverage, educational materials, support groups and more at USAGov en Español
- 911 for medical emergencies.
- 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) for suicide prevention.
- 1-800-985-5990 if you need support after a disaster or emergency.
- 1‑877‑SAMHSA7 (1‑877‑726‑4727) to obtain treatment referrals from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (SAMHSA)